The Forestry Technician reports to the Stewardship Services Coordinator. This role will focus on Forestry Services, as part of the Stewardship Services Department of Maitland Conservation. However, other Stewardship Services activities may be assigned. It will include working closely with landowners, community groups and other partners to complete various forestry projects across the Maitland watershed.
- Work with rural landowners and community groups to develop and implement planting plans, and provide technical advice to ensure successful project completion.
- Work with landowners to develop applications for funding programs, including the Rural Water Quality Programs.
- Prepare and present project applications to review committees for project funding, and complete any associated administration tasks.
- Completion of project specific deliverables.
- Work with tree planting contractors to complete planting projects.
- Record and management stewardship data using Microsoft Access and ArcGIS.
- Complete site survival assessments to improve future project success.
- Development of promotional events and tours of demonstration projects.
- Maintain communication with landowners and farmers in priority watersheds through newsletters, social media and one-on-one interactions.
- Develop and sustain partnerships with local organizations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A post-secondary degree in forestry, envirnmental science, natural resource management, ecology or a related discipline
- Knowledge and understanding of forestry practices, aboriculture, agricultural practices and resource management principles
- Minimum of 2 years experience related to position responsibilities
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite, ArcGIS, air photo interpretation, GPS units and mapping
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team, and also under minimal supervision
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Valid driver’s licence
- Enjoys working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Associate Professional Forester status with the Ontario Professional Foresters Association, considered an asset
- Experience completing other restoration projects, considered an asset
- Ontario Tree Marking Certification, considered an asset
- Licensed Pesticide Exterminator, considered an asset
- Chainsaw Operator, considered an asset
Anticipated Start Date: September 2018
Contract Length: 12 months, with possiblity of extension
Salary: $25.28 per hour (based on a 37.5 hour work week)
Application Deadline: Monday, August 13 at 9:00 a.m.
To apply, please submit a copy of your application (including cover letter and resume) in a single PDF (.pdf) or MS Word (.doc or .docx) document, indicating the position title you are applying for in the subject line, to:
Sarah Fleischhauer, Stewardship Project Lead
Maitland Valley Conservation Authority
1093 Marietta St., Box 127
Wroxeter, ON N0G 2X0
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those considered for an interview will be contacted. We will accommodate the needs of applicants in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment process. Please advise us to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process.