- Please note that the pond will not be stocked this year.
- The Family Fishing Derby has been cancelled for this year.
Falls Reserve Conservation Area has a reputation for excellent year-round fishing. Rainbow trout and salmon migrate up the river in spring and fall. Smallmouth bass provide great fishing during the summer months.
The Conservation Area has a pond that is usually stocked each spring with rainbow trout and also contains a largemouth bass population. Unfortunately the pond will not be stocked in 2020, but does have a largemouth bass population that we are working to restore. The pond has been the site of extensive naturalization efforts over the past several years. Trees, aquatic plants, and shrubs have been planted in and around the pond. A brood area for bass has been created along with nesting sites for birds and turtles.
- The fishing pond has been reopened for children and youth fishing ONLY, with adult supervision.
- Adults are not permitted to fish in the fishing pond for the remainder of the season, only to supervise and assist their child with angling.
- The pond is open during daylight hours only with use of barbless hooks only.
- All fish caught in the pond are catch and release. No fish are to be taken from the pond for the remainder of this season to help with restoring the pond fishery.
- Youth 13 – 17 require a $4 daily fishing permit available at the gatehouse from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm. Children 12 and under do not require a permit to fish.
- Please maintain physical distancing of a minimum of 2 metres with anyone who is not part of your household or social circle while fishing at the pond.
You must purchase a Resident Fishing License unless you are under 18 years of age or 65 years of age or older. People who are under 18 years or are 65 or older do not need a license but have all the rights and responsibilities of people with a license. Visitors from outside the province require a Non Resident Fishing License.
Fishing in Ontario
The Ontario Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary provides information on licenses, open/closed seasons and catch limits. This document is available to view at the Ministry of Natural Resources website (www.mnr.gov.on.ca).
OFAH Tackle Share Program
No fishing equipment? No problem! Falls Reserve Conservation Area offers access to angling equipment for visitors thanks to the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters Tackle Share program. It’s easy! Simply sign out a rod and reel and an assortment of tackle from the park Gatehouse. Once you’re finished, return the equipment so that others can enjoy the same opportunity.
Family Fishing Events
There are several opportunities for Canadian residents to fish Ontario waters without the otherwise mandatory fishing version Outdoors Card.
- Mother`s Day Weekend: May 9 – 10, 2020
- Father`s Day Weekend: June 20 – 21, 2020
- Family Fishing Week in July: July 4 – 12, 2020
During all other time periods, Canadian residents between the ages of 18 and 64 years must purchase an Outdoors Card and Fishing License to legally fish in Ontario. Visit www.ontariofamilyfishing.com for more information.
FRCA Family Fishing Derby
Unfortunately the Family Fishing Derby has been cancelled for 2020. We look forward to seeing your family at the 2021 derby!
Visit the Falls Reserve CA Facebook page