The Maitland Conservation Foundation administers the John Hindmarsh Environmental Trust Fund. The Trust Fund was created in 1996 to honour John’s contributions to environmental conservation and to continue the projects that were so special to him. John reforested marginal lands, implemented soil and water conservation techniques on his farm and was instrumental in the preservation of Naftel’s Creek and the Saratoga Swamp. He believed strongly in teaching others about the importance of our natural environment. Over the past 26 years the Trust Fund has built on John’s legacy by supporting a variety of conservation initiatives.
The Trust Fund is administered by a volunteer Board of Directors:
- Chair: Alison Lobb
- Secretary: Klaus Seeger
- MCF Liaison: Wendy Hoernig
- Secretary Treasurer: Lori Gordon
All donations to the JHETF are invested. Only the revenue from those investments is used for projects each year. The Trust Fund principle continues to grow. The Maitland Conservation Foundation, that administers the JHETF, is a registered charity and donations are tax deductible with your receipt.
Trust Fund Projects and Activities
- The Annual Plant Sale and Spring Hike was held on May 7th at the Knights of Columbus Hall parking lot in Goderich. This event was held in partnership with the Maitland Trail Association. Thank you to everyone who came out and supported us. Over $3,000 was raised! The advanced compost sale was a huge success.
- Replacement of boardwalks and bridge at Naftel’s Creek Conservation Area. The JHETF is working to raise $20,000 for this project. The work is expected to get underway in the summer of 2022.
- Support of Maitland Conservation’s Forest Health Assessment. This research project is looking at the health of woodlots across the Maitland watershed and is an update to a study initiatied 20 years ago.
- Planting of native trees and shrubs at Turnberry Floodplain Conservation Area, Galbraith Conservation Area and at Gorrie Conservation Area.
- Removal of invasive species in Goderich.
Donations to the John Hindmarsh Environmental Trust Fund may be made on-line through the Maitland Conservation Foundation’s page at CanadaHelps. If you would like to donate by cheque please make it out to the Maitland Conservation Foundation and include JHETF in the memo line.
Cheques may be mailed to:
Maitland Conservation Foundation
Wroxeter, ON N0G 2X0
The Trust Fund also welcomes donations by e-Transfer at firstname.lastname@example.org . If you donate through an e-Transfer please also email your contact information to email@example.com or call 519-335-3557 ext. 246 so a charitable receipt can be forwarded to you.
For more information about the Trust Fund please contact:
Alison Lobb, Chair – firstname.lastname@example.org
Phil Beard, MCF Interim Executive Director – email@example.com or 519-335-3557 ext. 231
Lori Gordon, MCF Secretary-Treasurer – firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-335-3557 ext. 246