The Maitland Conservation Foundation (MCF) works in partnership with the Maitland Valley Conservation Authority to raise funds for a variety of watershed projects. The Foundation is a registered, charitable organization that is led by a volunteer Board of Directors. The MCF has been raising funds significant local projects since its incorporation in 1975.
Through the Foundation, individuals and businesses can contribute to projects that protect and enhance watershed forests, rivers and soil. The Foundation welcomes general donations as well as donations directed to specific projects including:
- Inspired by Nature Campaign – this campaign is raising funds to support:
- Restoring Nature’s Place – restoration of floodplain, river valley, stream buffers, streams and forests throughout the watershed in order to build resiliency to the impacts of climate change. Assess and identify ways to improve the health of the forests in the watershed. The Foundation’s support of the on-going Forest Health Assessment Project will help Maitland Conservation identify priority sites for restoration efforts.
- Improving Accessibility to Nature – to develop and improve infrastructure and trails in Conservation Areas. To support projects to improve the health of forests, wetlands and meadows for wildlife and pollinators. Recently the Foundation supported the reconstruction of a bridge at Naftel’s Creek Conservation Area. The Foundation has also recently launched a campaign to raise funds for a picnic shelter with accessible washrooms and storage at Wawanosh Valley Conservation Area. The picnic shelter is envisioned as a community gathering area and will facilitate special events at the site. The goal is to raise $140,000.
- Memorial and Celebration Grove – the Memorial-Celebration Grove is located at the George Taylor Conservation Area south of Walton. For a donation of $100 a large-stock deciduous tree will be planted in memory of a loved one or in celebration of a milestone event. Smaller donations are also gratefully accepted. Individual trees in the groves are not identified with names however, donor and memorial names are listed on a kiosk at the site. A tree planting ceremony was held in September 2022. To make a donation for a memorial or celebration tree please call the Foundation at 519-335-3557 ext. 246, email email@example.com or visit our page at CanadaHelps.
All donations over $10 are acknowledged with a letter of thanks and a receipt for income tax purposes.
Check out the short videos posted below highlighting current Foundation campaigns.
MCF Board of Directors
The Board of Directors meets twice a year in March and November. A tour of projects that the MCF has raised money to support is held for the Board and potential donors in the summer or early fall.
Directors serve on either the Fundraising Committee or the Events & Engagement Committee.
The Fundraising Committee is responsible for organizing:
- meetings with potential donors to the Restoring the Maitland Campaign
- taking potential donors on tours of projects that the MCF is raising money for.
- organizing a Donors Gala to thank donors for supporting our campaigns
The Events and Engagement Committee is responsible for:
- Memorial Grove Celebration every two or three years depending upon donations. A ceremony at George Taylor Conservation Area is tentatively scheduled for Sat. Sept. 10, 2022.
- Promoting the Foundation and Fundraising Campaigns at Maitland Conservation’s annual Fall Colour Tour held at Wawanosh Valley Conservation Area
- Promoting the Foundation and Fundraising Campaigns at Falls Reserve Conservation Area’s Family Day Event
- Kriss Snell, Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kate Procter, Vice-Chair, email@example.com
- Francis Hogan, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ruth Knight, email@example.com
- Matt Duncan, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ben Miltenburg, email@example.com
- Nigel Bellchamber, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jordan Nairn, Jordan.Nairn@Libro.ca
If you’re interested in meeting information please contact Phil Beard at email@example.com.
Interested in Helping Out?
The MCF welcomes people who are interested in assisting with fundraising campaigns or joining the Board of Directors. For more information please contact Kriss Snell (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Phil Beard (email@example.com or 519-335-3557 ext. 231).
Contact Information and Donations
Lori Gordon, Secretary-Treasurer
Maitland Conservation Foundation
1093 Marietta St.
Box 127, Wroxeter, ON N0G 2X0
On-line donations to the Maitland Conservation Foundation may be made through our CanadaHelps page.
e-Transfers may be made by sending them to: firstname.lastname@example.org If you’re making an e-Transfer donation please also send your contact information by email to email@example.com or call 519-335-3557 ext. 246 so we can forward a charitable receipt to you.