The Maitland Conservation Foundation (MCF) works in partnership with Maitland Conservation to raise funds for watershed projects. The Foundation is a registered, charitable organization that is led by a volunteer Board of Directors. The MCF has been raising funds significant local projects since its incorporation in 1975.
Through the Foundation, individuals and businesses can contribute to projects that protect and enhance watershed forests, rivers and soil. The Foundation welcomes general donations or donors are welcome to direct funds to specific projects through the Restoring the Maitland Campaign including:
- Middle Maitland Headwaters Restoration Project – to restore the headwaters of the Middle Maitland River upstream of Listowel by naturalizing floodplain and river valley lands or supporting the conversion of these lands into permanent hay cover. These measures will help to develop some resiliency to the impacts of climate change.
- Garvey-Glenn Restoration Project – restoring floodplain and river valley lands, planting stream buffers and developing rural stormwater management systems throughout this watershed to build resiliency to the impacts of climate change.
- Conservation Areas – improvements to Conservation Areas including the replacement of the footbridge and boardwalk at Naftel’s Creek Conservation Area located on the east side of Highway 21, south of Goderich.
All donations over $10 are acknowledged with a letter of thanks and a receipt for income tax purposes.
First Annual Donors’ Gala – The MCF is holing it’s first Donors’ Gala on Friday June 14, 2019 at Cowbell Brewery in Blyth. The Gala is being held to celebrate the progress that has been made on the Restoring the Maitland Campaign. The evening will feature a presentation by Tim MacDonald, Member of the Order of Canada. Mr. MacDonald will be announcing the establishment of the Middle Maitland Headwaters Restoration Fund through the Startford Perth Community Foundation. The Gala will also feature entertainment by Duo Novus, Emily Belvedere and Kristan Tazco, two of Canada’s best young harpists. A silent auction will also be part of the event.
Tickets are $100 each. A reserved table for 6 is $850. Table sponsorship is $250.
Memorial and Celebration Groves – Located at George Taylor Conservation Area south of Walton. For a donation of $100 a large-stock deciduous tree will be planted in memory of a loved one or in celebration of a milestone event. Smaller donations are also gratefully accepted. Individual trees in the groves are not identified with names; however donor and memorial names are listed on a kiosk at the site. To arrange for a memorial or celebration tree planting please call the Foundation at 519-335-3557 ext. 246 or email email@example.com. Donations can also be made on-line at www.CanadaHelps.org.
MCF Board of Directors
A 9-member Board of Directors oversees the operation of the Foundation. The Board meets twice a year on the third Thursday of March and Novemeber. A summer tour and luncheon is held for the Board and potential donors.
Directors have the choice of serving on either the Fundraising Committee or the Events Committee. The Fundraising Committee meets with prospective donors to the Restoring the Maitland Campaign. The Events Committee organizes the Memorial – Celebration Grove Planting Event every two years and assists with the organization of the Donors Gala.
The Annual Meeting of the MCF was held on April 16, 2020. The Board of Directors for this year includes:
- Kriss Snell, Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kate Procter, Vice-Chair, email@example.com
- Lori Gordon, Secretary/Treasurer, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phil Beard, Interim Executive Director, email@example.com
- Francis Hogan, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ruth Knight, email@example.com
- Matt Duncan, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joe Vulders, 226-921-4295
The MCF welcomes volunteers interested in assisting with fundraising campaigns or joining the Board of Directors. For more information please contact Phil Beard (519-335-3557 ext. 231) or Lori Gordon at (519-335-3557 ext. 246).
Maitland Conservation Foundation
1093 Marietta St.
Box 127, Wroxeter, ON N0G 2X0