The Public Information Centre (PIC) scheduled for January 14 and 15, 2021 regarding plans for decommissioning the dam in Gorrie has been postponed. Due to COVID-19 we are not able to meet with community members in person. Staff are considering options and once a process for the PIC has been finalized we will post additional information.
In the meantime the plan is available for review:
More information is also included in a report presented to Maitland Conservation Members earlier this year:
The plan includes a number of components:
- Removal of all in-water concrete structures to provide a natural river corridor
- Channel design that includes vortex weirs to improve fish habitat with riffles and pools. Maintaining narrow channel sections to create flow and a variety of river habitats.
- Retain sections of the earthen berms to provide protection to the picnic shelter and parkland.
- Lowering the southern berm height and re-grading the slopes.
- Use onsite materials to fill and level the old sluiceway and level the area.
- Regrading and adding topsoil to the island. Using a stepped bank design to allow river flows to pass over this area.