Responding to COVID-19 – Operational Changes
Maitland Conservation is adjusting operations to help reduce the risk of community transmissions of coronavirus (COVID-19).
- The Maitland Conservation Administration Centre and the Falls Reserve Conservation Area office have been closed to the public and staff. Our staff are now working remotely and continue to be available by telephone and email. Open our staff directory to find contact information.
- Staff will continue to respond to inquiries but please be aware that there may some delay in response time.
- Given that staff will not be in the office, postal mail and faxes will not be checked regularly until the offices reopen.
- Please be assured that flood and erosion safety services will continue as usual. If you need to report a flood or erosion emergency please call 519-357-0890.
Falls Reserve Conservation Area
- With the provincial directive to close all non-essential services and outdoor recreation amenities we will not be able to open Falls Reserve Conservation Area (FRCA) for camping and day-use on April 17, 2020 as planned.
- We are working towards opening the park on May 8, 2020, but this will depend on how the COVID-19 situation evolves and the recommendations we receive from Huron Perth Public Health as well as the provincial and federal governments. Staff are monitoring the situation daily and the opening date will be pushed back if necessary.
- FRCA is closed to all public access until May 8, 2020. This closure includes walk-in access to the property and all trails. Seasonal campers are asked NOT to check on their trailers while the park is closed. Updates will be provided if this situation changes.
- Campsite reservations will not be accepted until May 14, 2020 and any current bookings affected by the late opening of the park will be cancelled. Campers do not need to contact the park as measures are in place to refund full camping fees previously paid for reservations impacted by the closure. At this time there will be no change to the 2020 seasonal camping fees, please refer to the Seasonal Campsite Payment Schedule.
- Authorized staff will be onsite at the park to monitor security and undertake property maintenance.
- We are looking forward to getting the camping season started! Please check back regularly to stay informed on the status of the park opening.
Other Conservation Areas
- All our Conservation Areas and trails are now closed to the public until further notice. This difficult decision was made based on the March 30, 2020 provincial directive to close communal or shared, public or private, outdoor recreational amenities.
- Signs are being placed at some Conservation Areas but please note that the closure covers all Maitland Conservation properties and trails even if signs are not in place.
Maitland Conservation Events
We have also made some changes to Conservation Authority events:
- The Wingham area floodplain mapping Public Information Centre scheduled for March 24th has been postponed.
- The Maitland Conservation Members’ meetings scheduled for March has been rescheduled to April 15, 2020. This will be an online meeting.
For information on the local COVID-19 situation visit the Huron Perth Public Health website at: hpph.ca
Maitland Conservation apologizes for the inconvenience these changes may cause but we are committed to protecting the health of our staff and watershed communities. If additional changes to our operations are required, we will provide updates on our website and social media channels.
If you have questions or concerns please contact:
Jayne Thompson, Communications and GIS-IT Coordinator