The Maitland Conservation Foundation (MCF) works in partnership with Maitland Valley Conservation Authority to raise funds for a variety of watershed projects. The Foundation is a registered, charitable organization that is led by a volunteer Board of Directors. The MCF has been raising funds significant local projects since its incorporation in 1975.
Through the Foundation, individuals and businesses can contribute to projects that protect and enhance watershed forests, rivers and soil. The Foundation welcomes general donations or donors are welcome to direct funds to specific projects including:
- Middle Maitland Headwaters Restoration Project – to restore the headwaters of the Middle Maitland River upstream of Listowel by naturalizing floodplain, river valley lands and stream buffers. Restoring these areas will help to improve the health of the river.
- Watershed Resiliency Project – to restore the floodplain, river valley, stream buffers streams and forests throughout the watershed in order to build resiliency to the impacts of climate change and to improve the ecological health of the watershed.
- Conservation Areas Infrastructure Projects – to develop and improve infrastructure and trails at Conservation Areas. To support projects to improve the health of forests, wetlands and meadows for wildlife and pollinators.
- Memorial and Celebration Grove – the Memorial-Celebration Grove is located at the George Taylor Conservation Area located south of Walton. For a donation of $100 a large-stock deciduous tree will be planted in memory of a loved one or in celebration of a milestone event. Smaller donations are also gratefully accepted. Individual trees in the groves are not identified with names; however donor and memorial names are listed on a kiosk at the site. To make a donation for a memorial or celebration tree please call the Foundation at 519-335-3557 ext. 246, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our page at CanadaHelps.
All donations over $10 are acknowledged with a letter of thanks and a receipt for income tax purposes.
MCF Board of Directors
The Board of Directors meets twice a year in March and November. A tour of projects that the MCF has raised money to support is held for the Board and potential donors in the summer or early fall.
Directors have the choice of serving on either the Fundraising Committee or the Events & Engagement Committee.
The Fundraising Committee is responsible for organizing:
- meetings with potential donors to the Restoring the Maitland Campaign
- taking potential donors on tours of projects that the MCF is raising money for.
- organizing a Donors Gala to thank donors for supporting our campaigns
The Events & Engagement Committee is responsible for:
- Memorial Grove Celebration every two or three years depending upon donations
- Promoting the Foundation and Fundraising Campaigns at Maitland Conservation’s annual Fall Colour Tour held at Wawanosh Valley Conservation Area
- Promoting the Foundation and Fundraising Campaigns at Falls Reserve Conservation Area’s Family Day Event
The next Board of Directors’ Meeting will be held on Thursday, November 18, 2021 at the Wroxeter Hall starting at noon.
Interested in Helping Out?
The MCF welcomes people who are interested in assisting with fundraising campaigns or joining the Board of Directors. For more information please contact Kriss Snell, Chair or Phil Beard, Interim Executive Director (519-335-3557 ext. 231).
Contact Information and Donations
Maitland Conservation Foundation
1093 Marietta St.
Box 127, Wroxeter, ON N0G 2X0
On-line donations to the Maitland Conservation Foundation may be made through our CanadaHelps page.
e-Transfers may be made by sending them to: email@example.com