Flooding, erosion and slope failures are a hazard when people and structures are in areas impacted by them. Maitland Conservation (MC) has the responsibility to regulate activities in hazardous areas to prevent loss of life and to reduce property damage from flooding and erosion.
When a property is within the floodplain, development on the property is regulated by MC as per Ontario Regulation 164/06. Regulated activities include construction, re-construction, filling, and/or site grading. In the Wingham area the floodplain is divided into:
- Flood Fringe, where development may occur provided certain tests are met with regard to the control of flooding and erosion, and appropriate safety standards can be met to achieve the safety of persons and property in a flood event, and;
- Floodway, where development is highly restricted due to the amount of risk present during a flood event, and where the control of flooding may be impacted
The boundaries of both these areas have recently been refined as a result of a detailed technical study undertaken in conjunction with the Municipality of Morris-Turnberry and the Township of North Huron. This more detailed mapping replaces the current floodplain mapping from the 1970s.
The Wingham and Area Floodplain Mapping – Technical Report is available in .pdf format. It has been separated into pieces to accommodate the large file size.
- GeoProcess Research Associates – Wingham and Area Floodplain Mapping – Technical Report
- Appendix A – Additional Figures
- Appendix B – HEC-RAS Report
- Appendix C – Preliminary Floodplain Mapping
- Appendix D – HEC-RAS Model Hydrographs
- Appendix E – Hydrologic Analysis
- Maps – part 1
- Maps – part 2
- Maps – part 3
- Maps – part 4
- Maps – part 5
Posted below are maps showing the existing regulated areas and the proposed new boundaries. To view your property first open the overall Sheet Map to determine which sheet your property is located on. Open the relevant sheet to determine if the boundaries on your property will change. Paper copies of these maps are available by calling Patrick Huber-Kidby at 519-335-3557 ext. 237 or emailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Public comments will be heard at the December 16, 2020 Maitland Conservation Members’ Meeting. You may submit comments at any time to Patrick Huber-Kidby by email at email@example.com or by calling 519-335-3557 ext. 237. If you would like to provide verbal comments at the Members’ meeting you must notify Patrick Huber-Kidby by December 9, 2020.
Existing Mapping – Sheet Map
Existing Mapping – Sheet 2
Existing Mapping – Sheet 3
Existing Mapping – Sheet 4
Existing Mapping – Sheet 5
Existing Mapping – Sheet 6
Existing Mapping – Sheet 7
Existing Mapping – Sheet 8
Existing Mapping – Sheet 9
Proposed Mapping – Sheet Map
Proposed Mapping – Sheet 2
Proposed Mapping – Sheet 3
Proposed Mapping – Sheet 4
Proposed Mapping – Sheet 5
Proposed Mapping – Sheet 6
Proposed Mapping – Sheet 7
Proposed Mapping – Sheet 8
Proposed Mapping – Sheet 9